As you put your marketing strategy in place for your Consulting firm, you should have your blog as a central component to your social media strategy for getting new business.
It is the site that you want to bring your prospective clients to, the gateway and face of your Consulting Firm.
“Build it and they will come,” is not the answer to generate traffic to your consulting firm’s blog. You must employ proactive tactics to create awareness and interest among prospective clients. The more traffic that you can generate, from among your target audience, the more inbound new business leads will follow.
Denise Wakeman, Online Marketing Advisor and Founder of The Blog Squad, has created an excellent list of tips to generate traffic to you blog. I would encourage you to create a list of “to dos” from her suggestions. For more details, be sure to check out her article, “19 Tips for Driving Traffic to Your Blog”
Here are the 19 tips:
- Publish as frequently as possible
- Pay attention to the headlines (blog post titles)
- Send a broadcast email
- Add a link in your email signature
- Include multiple subscription options on your blog
- Try article marketing
- Comment on blogs in your industry
- Do some guest posting
- Conduct surveys and polls
- Submit your blog to directories
- Make a Google profile
- Syndicate to Twitter
- Syndicate Facebook
- Syndicate to LinkedIn
- Use Hootsuite
- Distribute your videos
- Add the retweet button to your posts
- Consider share buttons
- Use social bookmarking
Denise’s list isn’t an exhaustive list of tactics but these are the core that you need for your own list. Just be sure that someone from your company is charged with implementing it or work with your agency to make sure they know how and what to do.
I would add at least six additional tips:
- Make your target audience crystal clear. If you can’t clearly and narrowly define your audience you wont build significant traffic.
- Optimize your posts content for search. Identify and dominate a few key words that your target audience will most likely use to find you. Use these words consistently in your posts titles and copy.
- Knowledge is power. Get in the habit of checking your blogs analytics frequently. Keep it simple, but know at least daily the number of unique visitors, page views, top posts, how people got to your blog, search terms and incoming links.
- Don’t be afraid to re-purpose older blog content through multiple social media channels. Posts that I’ve written a long time ago are still pertinent and continues to generate traffic to my blog.
- One thing that will negatively impact traffic… Constantly Selling! Don’t use your blog to only push your services. You need to give in order to receive. Provide your audience with a lot of value and they will buy when they are ready.
- Identify who your audience is in your post titles. This is especially helpful when you re-purpose your content on Twitter and an important part of SEO for your blog.
There is a lot of additional tips and tricks to get traffic to your blog, please share what is working for you below in the comment section.